What are those giant torches gas drillers build?

So I live in Texas and I’ve seen a few of those giant torches around. They’re about 20-30 feet high and somehow related to drilling for oil or natural gas- I believe the company involved is Barnett Shale. Just curious how they work.

2 Responses to “What are those giant torches gas drillers build?”

  1. JOHN Says:

    They’re called flares. They bleed off excess or residual gas that can be contained in the rock or in small pockets as they drill.

  2. thor Says:

    The gas would cost more to collect than it’s worth, so they burn it and keep the oil.